Saturday 7 April 2012

Super shiny, super happy!

So having done a workshop with the fabulous Melanie Muir (if ever you get a chance to take a class with her do!!) and seen the amazing finish on her jewellery, and watched her use her Foredom Bench Lathe to polish her cuff bracelets I just had to get one! I have been considering upgrading from my home made polishing mop on a dremel for some time but was thinking of getting a bench grinder and buying a spindle. Having seen the Foredom in action, it struck me it was very quiet and the speed is variable which I think is useful and I decided it was the tool for me and probably worth the extra money.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I polished my first thing - WOW! It changes the whole look of the material. I used to be pleased with the finish I got before but this is a whole new league of beauty! Boy was I happy! I went to bed dreaming of making the whole world shiny!

Let me illustrate

The cuff I made in Mel's workshop - finished with micromesh polishing cloths and buffed on my muslin buffing wheel on the Dremel - now it's not perfect because it as made in a workshop and it's the first one I made but I was fairly pleased with the finish. this also isn't a great photo but it had a sheen to it but not a proper shine.

Here it is after a little polishing on the Foredom, yes this is a better photo but the difference in real life is as noticeable!

I was intrigued to find out the the sanding/buffing balance Melanie used was so different to what I had been doing. I was heavy on the sanding and light on the buffing and she is the opposite. Needless to say that has raised a whole heap of experiments I want to do to find out the optimum process for maximum shine vs effort. I also have several different polishing mops so want to find out how they differ. Is there a shininess scale? I will of course let you know what I find out. I have a huge, huge long list of things I want to do/should do so it may not be anytime soon.

Hope you all have a Happy Easter! I gave up on covering eggs with polymer clay as I couldn't make them perfect - more practise ready for next year (something else on that list!)

9 comments:

  1. That's fab. I just don't have the work space atm for that polisher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the Foredom is a great machine!, thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really surprised how much of a difference that makes - thanks for sharing the before and after! Now to put the lathe on my long list of dream polymer clay tools *G*

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's superb. It really brings out the depth and sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW indeed that's amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really helpful info, Cara Jane. Have been thinking of upgrading to a 'proper' buffer myself and am really tempted now by this model. Hmmm....

    Lovely bangle you've made there, too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you