Monday 20 August 2012

Peacock Cane

I started this peacock cane ages ago. I looked at several images of peacock feathers to get the colours and the shapes. It has to be simplified a little as I didn't want to replicate a feather exactly - too delicate. I did the centre fairly easily but was then uncertain how to deal with the outer green and gold layers. I wanted to hint at the feathers structure but didn't want to get too complicated.

Finally I tackled it and I'm pleased with how it worked out. Here's the cane
I then decided I had better make a pair of earrings from it (as I am now rather behind with the earrings a week challenge on flickr). I made then from a simple slice but decided they needed a little something to make them more interesting so I added some score lines to indicate the feathers structure and then scored a line down the centre and used that to folded them slightly (as you see I couldn't resist a little peacock too ;)



 I then remembered some brilliant design advice I got from Inga - Kni.Kni about changing the little silver balls on the ear wires with tiny beads - boy did that change the look of the earrings for the better! It lifted them from being ordinary earwires to being special. I could of chosen any of the colours in the feather but decided to pick a nice bright blue to match with the centre as I had pretty seed beads in the colour. Thank you for the tip Inga!

 My kids are still home for the summer for a couple more weeks then I hope to get a little more clay time and update you more regularly again! I hope you are all having fun.

Cara

10 comments:

  1. Love your version of the peacock cane, and it looks very polished with the extra texture you have applied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Care Jane! ;) I'm glad you tried this idea and as i see, now your earrings have finished look. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that bead really makes the earrings pop! Need to have a look at my own batch and see what I can change there :) Thanks for the tip Inga!
    Very pretty Peacock too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really pretty. I love your little peacock, he's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just stunning! And you're right about the seed beads on the ear wires, what a great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am very grateful to Inga for the tip - no more silver balls for me!

      Delete
  6. Te ha quedado precioso, me encanta de verdad. Besos

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you